Legal FAQs

I think I've been wrongly accused of speeding - should I contest it in court?

The offer of a 'Fixed Penalty' provides a simple means for the driver to discharge liability for the offence by paying a fixed fine and receiving points on your licence. However, the driver of the vehicle has the right to request a court hearing and should consider this option if they wish to dispute the offence and/or put forward mitigation. Before going that far, you can ask to see the photographic evidence that we have to check that it was your vehicle.

The lines painted on the road at fixed sites are there as 'secondary check marks’ and are used to check which vehicle was speeding. Again, you can check to see that we have correctly identified the relevant vehicle in any photograph. Some cameras take two photographs, half a second apart. The lines allow us to measure the distance travelled in that half second to be sure that it matches the speed the camera has recorded.

A request for a Court Hearing must be made in writing.  The following arguments do not provide mitigation:

-          I didn’t know street lights indicated a 30mph limit

-          I didn’t see any signs/I was unfamiliar with the road

-          I have a clean driving licence/it is my first offence

-          I didn’t know about the cameras

-          The road was clear/it was late/it was early

-          The car behind forced me to speed up

-          The camera enforcement vehicle was not visible/was parked illegally

-          My speedometer doesn’t work/isn’t accurate

Other questions in this category:

I have received a Notice of Intended Prosecution for speeding. What happens now?

I did not know the speed limit of the road. Can I appeal?

How can you prove that the camera is accurate and working properly?

Will I have to go to court?

How long will the penalty points stay on my driving licence?

I have received a Notice of Intended Prosecution and do not believe that I was speeding.

Can I appeal against the Notice of Intended Prosecution?

What happens if I ignore the Notice of Intended Prosecution?

Are my Human Rights infringed if I respond to this Notice of Intended Prosecution?

I sold my car recently, why have I been sent a Notice of Intended Prosecution?

I was caught speeding. Can I have a higher fine and no penalty points?

I was caught using a mobile phone whilst driving. Can I have a higher fine and no penalty points?

What should I do if I have lost my driving licence?

I have a clean driving licence. Is this taken into consideration?

My licence is from another country, what should I do?

Can I have a copy of the photograph of the offence?

Who sets the speed limits?

Who decides where safety cameras are needed to enforce speed limits?

What is the speed limit for a van?

I understand I can go on a course instead of a fine or having points on my licence. Is this correct?

If I go on a course, will I still receive the fine and penalty points?

I would like to attend a course but think I went on one 2 years ago. Can I go on a further course?

If I attend a Speed Awareness Course will I have to pay?

Return To FAQs List




The programme to digitally upgrade all safety cameras is now underway and going well!!

Read all from blog


Share on twitter Share on facebook Share on google plus Share on linked in Share with email Share choices

Can we help?

Received a ticket and want to know what happens next >>

For payment and driving licence enquiries please contact HMCTS >>

For Speed Awareness Course enquiries please contact KCC >>

For photograph / Notice of Intended Prosecution enquiries please contact Kent Police >>

For all other enquiries please contact the KMSCP Project Team >>

For camera locations and details - view the camera map >>