Legal FAQs

I have received a Notice of Intended Prosecution for speeding. What happens now?

You have been sent a Notice because you are either the registered keeper of a vehicle or have been nominated as the driver of a vehicle which is alleged to have committed an offence.  You are required by law to tell us if you were the driver or whether someone else was driving and if so provide their details.  If you do not give us this information you are likely to be summoned to Court and if found guilty fined up to £1000 and awarded 6 penalty points.

When you have provided these details the driver may be given an opportunity of attending a speed awareness course.  If you successfully complete a course you will not be fined or receive any penalty points. 

A further option, should you not be offered a course or choose not to accept is paying a fixed penalty fine and receiving 3 points on your licence.  If you were driving at a speed which was substantially over the limit you are likely to be summoned to court without either a fixed penalty or offer of a course being available.  If you do not accept the allegation is correct you have the right to ask for court hearing anyway and can then challenge the evidence.  Before any of these options are available you must tell us who the driver was at the time. 

If you go to court the magistrates will decide whether you committed the offence and upon any fine or penalty points to be awarded.  You are reminded that the courts have the right to increase the fine and penalty points awarded if they see fit and if found guilty you are also likely to be required to pay prosecution costs.


Other questions in this category:

I think I've been wrongly accused of speeding - should I contest it in court?

I did not know the speed limit of the road. Can I appeal?

How can you prove that the camera is accurate and working properly?

Will I have to go to court?

How long will the penalty points stay on my driving licence?

I have received a Notice of Intended Prosecution and do not believe that I was speeding.

Can I appeal against the Notice of Intended Prosecution?

What happens if I ignore the Notice of Intended Prosecution?

Are my Human Rights infringed if I respond to this Notice of Intended Prosecution?

I sold my car recently, why have I been sent a Notice of Intended Prosecution?

I was caught speeding. Can I have a higher fine and no penalty points?

I was caught using a mobile phone whilst driving. Can I have a higher fine and no penalty points?

What should I do if I have lost my driving licence?

I have a clean driving licence. Is this taken into consideration?

My licence is from another country, what should I do?

Can I have a copy of the photograph of the offence?

Who sets the speed limits?

Who decides where safety cameras are needed to enforce speed limits?

What is the speed limit for a van?

I understand I can go on a course instead of a fine or having points on my licence. Is this correct?

If I go on a course, will I still receive the fine and penalty points?

I would like to attend a course but think I went on one 2 years ago. Can I go on a further course?

If I attend a Speed Awareness Course will I have to pay?

Return To FAQs List




The programme to digitally upgrade all safety cameras is now underway and going well!!

Read all from blog


Share on twitter Share on facebook Share on google plus Share on linked in Share with email Share choices

Can we help?

Received a ticket and want to know what happens next >>

For payment and driving licence enquiries please contact HMCTS >>

For Speed Awareness Course enquiries please contact KCC >>

For photograph / Notice of Intended Prosecution enquiries please contact Kent Police >>

For all other enquiries please contact the KMSCP Project Team >>

For camera locations and details - view the camera map >>